Sticky Date Pudding with Poached Pears Gluten Free
Warm, sticky, and gooey ginger goodness mixed with caramel. Perfect for an autumn or winter evening. You don’t need to add the pears (poached or added into the cake) I didn’t the first time I made it.
This recipe has a lot less sugar than a normal sticky date pudding BUT I find that the dates and the caramel sauce more than make up for it.
- 300g Velvety Baking Mix
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1¼ cups water
- 60g butter, chopped or 60g oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, 3tsp ginger powder, 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 pears, cored and cut into thin slices (optional)
- CARAMEL SAUCE
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180˚C fanbake
- Grease the sides of a 20cm-diameter (approx) cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Place dates, water and baking soda in a pot large enough to hold the entire mixture and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and mash to break up the dates.
- Stir in chopped butter and mix until butter is melted. or oil if you are using
- Mix in eggs then fold in baking mix. spices and vanilla
- (optional) Arrange pear slices in a circle around the base of the tin, placing a few slices in the centre. Pour batter over the top and smooth evenly to fully cover the pears.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean
- Stand for at least 10 minutes before turning upside down onto a serving platter and removing the baking paper
- To make Caramel Sauce, place water in a pot, add coconut sugar and place over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves and comes to the boil, swirling the pot now and then.
- Boil without stirring until mixture for about 8-10 minutes. Do not be tempted to stir the mixture as this could cause it to crystallise.
- Remove from heat, add cream and vanilla and stir until smooth. Leftover sauce can be stored in the fridge and reheated. Makes 1.5 cups.
- Serve Pudding with warm Caramel Sauce, optional ice cream and poached pears.
Gluten Free Christmas Cake Paleo
(yes it can be done, and it's awesome)
Pancakes and Waffles
You can make thee any size you want and add anything you like on top. But it’s always good to get a bit of inspiration....
Caramel Apple Cake
Apple cakes are the way to go in Autumn, and what better to top it with but caramel. Or even better, put the caramel inside...