Peaches and Custard Cake Gluten Free
This is another idea I nicked off the Bite.co.nz website. I used peaches instead of apricots due to having some over-ripe ones on hand, and our vanilla mix instead of the dry ingredients. I had no idea on how this would turn out as you add custard to the cake before you cook it…..it turned out beautifully.
I made my own custard using coconut cream in my thermomix (7 minutes! You just chuck in all the ingredients and turn it on!)SO you can make your own custard by swapping out the milk for coconut milk, and the sugar for whatever alternative you want.
I didn’t read the recipe right either and put all my fruit in the middle and left nothing for the top. It was really nice though! i was pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out.
- Vanilla Baking Mix
- 250g ish halved and stoned - stone fruit ripe
- 150g butter OR 100g coconut oil and 50g coconut cream
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla essence or paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup thick vanilla custard
- Heat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 20- 23cm square cake tin.
- Cut each apricot/peach in half again and place in a bowl with ¼ cup of sweetener or sugar (if desired) and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Cream the butter (or the coconut cream and oil) until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the vanilla extract or paste.
- Mix the HGG Velvety baking mix and baking powder together and fold into the butter mixture with 1/2 cup water then fold in ½ cup custard.
- Spoon half of the cake mixture into the prepared tin and arrange half the apricots/peaches on top. Dollop over the remaining ¼ cup custard then the remaining cake mixture. Finish with remaining apricots/peaches, gently pressing them just a little way into the cake mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30- 45 minutes. To test, insert a skewer into the centre of the cake; it should come out clean.
- Leave cake to cool in the tin for about 15 minutes before removing. Serve cake warm with extra custard and whipped cream. Or leave to cool and eat on its own.
Gluten Free Christmas Cake Paleo
(yes it can be done, and it's awesome)
Pancakes and Waffles
You can make thee any size you want and add anything you like on top. But it’s always good to get a bit of inspiration....
Caramel Apple Cake
Apple cakes are the way to go in Autumn, and what better to top it with but caramel. Or even better, put the caramel inside...