Chocolate Caramel Slice (can be made vegan) Gluten Free
This is another recipe inspired by hubby. He looooooves his caramel and requested a caramel slice. I’m in heaven licking the bowl after making caramel. The caramel is made from coconut cream, but you cannot taste the coconut at all! its tastes like normal caramel.
Make the caramel following our recipe here
While the caramel is cooking, make the base
Heat oven to 180
Melt/heat the oil and the maple syrup together until it’s at a low boil. This will make sure your base holds together and is nice and crisp.
Mix all the ingredients for the base together well and pour into a lined square tin. It should be nice and sticky, add more oil or maple syrup if its isn’t.
Bake in oven at 180 for 20-30 min until the sides start looking crisp. It will solidify as it cools, but it’s always good to cook longer so you get a nice crisp base. Don’t let the edges get too dark brown though
Once the base has cooked and settled (cooled but still a little warm) pour the caramel over the top.
Let the caramel settle whilst making the chocolate layer.
Melt your dark chocolate in a double boiler (bowl over a pot with simmering water) or thermomix
or melt your chocolate and coconut cream using the same method. Cream and chocolate will give the ganache topping a more luxurious effect, but plain melted chocolate is also nice.
Pour the chocolate over the caramel, let sit for a couple of minutes then pop in the fridge to cool and harden.
Store in the fridge too. Can also go in the freezer but slice it first. (bet it would taste good frozen too)
Ready to make it? Here is the baking mix
Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions.
- 300g -1 box of HGG paleo chocolate baking mix
- 150g oil (I used macadamia but you can use whatever you like) or melted butter
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
- up to 4 tbl of maple syrup or honey
- CARAMEL LAYER
- 1 can full fat coconut cream
- 1/2 cup grade b maple syrup (can use honey if you prefer, but I find the maple gives the best caramel taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp ghee or palm shortening/coconut oil (optional but I think it makes it creamier)
- pinch salt
- CHOCOLATE LAYER
- 200g 72% or higher dark chocolate
- 160g of coconut cream or normal cream (only add if you want a creamy chocolate texture)
Gluten Free Christmas Cake Paleo
(yes it can be done, and it's awesome)
Pancakes and Waffles
You can make thee any size you want and add anything you like on top. But it’s always good to get a bit of inspiration....
Caramel Apple Cake
Apple cakes are the way to go in Autumn, and what better to top it with but caramel. Or even better, put the caramel inside...