Carrot cake appears to be one of the most popular cakes out there. As I’m not a huge cream cheese fan, and the thought of putting vegetables in my cakes has always struck me as odd, I haven’t really made them before. BUT I tested this one many times on carrot cake loving blokes (house full of builders at present) and husband and friends. SO it’s safe to say that this one has passed with flying colours, and I hope everyone you make it for enjoys it as much as we have.
Here are also three icing options for you
Cream Cheese Icing 2 ways
1. Tweak the traditional
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in the passionfruit or pineapple powder tasting as you until you have reached a sweetness you enjoy. Spread over the cake.
2. The dairy free approach
Beat or blend the coconut oil/butter/ghee till pale and creamy. Add the honey, vanilla, cashew butter and lemon juice until smooth and creamy. Taste as you go, can add more sweetener or a pinch of stevia. Then mix in the lemon zest.
Leave in fridge to harden up a little before spreading over the cake.
Also this looks like a nice one over at Elanas pantry. you can’t really go wrong with Elana, her coconut flour cupcake book was the first recipe book I used before I had even heard of paleo.
Enjoy! Let me know how it goes.
- 300g Velvety Baking Mix
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 225g crushed pineapple in juice
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup oil (I used macadamia)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon or pumpkin spice
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Optional is 1/4 cup coconut sugar or pinch of stevia. Best to suit your level of sweetness.
- CREAM CHEESE ICING 2 WAYS
- 1. TWEAK THE TRADITIONAL
- 250g Mascarpone
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Fresh As passionfruit or pineapple powder
- pinch stevia (optional)
- 2. DAIRY FREE
- 1 cup coconut oil
- (or 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup grass fed butter or ghee)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 Tablespoons cashew butter
- 1-2 teaspoon lemon juice
- lemon zest
- Mix pineapple, oil, eggs, sugar of choice and carrots in large bowl till mixed well
- Mix together the baking mix, spices and baking powder
- Then add to the wet pineapple mix and stir till well mixed
- Add walnuts if using
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish or 22cm cake tin
- Bake for 40-45 min at 180 or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Gluten Free Christmas Cake Paleo
(yes it can be done, and it's awesome)
Pancakes and Waffles
You can make thee any size you want and add anything you like on top. But it’s always good to get a bit of inspiration....
Caramel Apple Cake
Apple cakes are the way to go in Autumn, and what better to top it with but caramel. Or even better, put the caramel inside...