Banoffee Pie Gluten Free
This deliciously easy banoffee pie recipe combines a gingery crust, soft and sweet caramel, thick slices of fresh banana, and a mountain of billowy whipped cream. . You can use the ginger mix or the vanilla mix for the base, and either coconut cream or normal cream on the top.
Its also egg free and vegan but of course you can use dairy if you wish
- 300g vanilla or ginger baking mix. (2 1/4 cups)
- if using vanilla, either leave plain or add 2 tbl ginger powder & 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 150g oil (or melted butter)
- 2-4 tbl maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- FOR THE CARAMEL
- 1 can full fat coconut cream
- 1/2 cup grade b maple syrup (can use honey if you prefer, but I find the maple gives the best caramel taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbl ghee or palm shortening (optional but I think it makes it creamier)
- pinch salt
- CHILLED COCONUT CREAM OR DAIRY CREAM
- FOR THE BASE
- Simmer oil and maple syrup together for 3-5 min
- Add 1/2 cup desiccated coconut & the 300g baking mix and mix together
- Press into dish and bake for 20-25 min till dark golden brown. Cool on rack.
- While the base is cooking you can start the caramel
- In a medium heavy bottomed saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat
- Continue to boil undisturbed, anywhere from 30-60 minutes (allow the hour for your first time) until it reaches a nice golden amber colour and is about 245-250 on a candy thermometer (if you have one)
- Towards the end of the cooking time, stir often to keep any of the caramel from burning on the bottom of the pan, but also to incorporate the small amount that is burning into the caramel, to give it that lovely burnt sugar taste.
- Cooking times vary on the width and thickness of your pan, stove, heat, and batch size. Colour is your key here.
- If using a candy thermometer, be sure that the tip is not hitting the bottom, and that your ingredients are deep enough to cover at least 4 inches of the tip before it reduces down. You want it to be a nice golden colour no matter what the thermometer says. Over time you won’t even need the thermometer.
- Let the caramel cool then pour into the base which will be cooler by now too.
- Slice banana over the top
- Whip the chilled coconut cream or normal cream and pile on top.
- Grate chocolate over the top and Enjoy!
Gluten Free Christmas Cake Paleo
(yes it can be done, and it's awesome)
Pancakes and Waffles
You can make thee any size you want and add anything you like on top. But it’s always good to get a bit of inspiration....
Caramel Apple Cake
Apple cakes are the way to go in Autumn, and what better to top it with but caramel. Or even better, put the caramel inside...