Plum & Pistachio Cake Gluten Free
I have two versions of this. An easy one and one when you have to whip coconut cream and oil. Still easy but just another step (keep reading for the easier version) I found whipping the oil and cream made the cake lighter. Personally I preferred it whipped. But you try which ever one you like. For the easy version you can roughly chop your pistachios by hand or I find it easier in a food processor or blender. For the other version you grind the pistachios up finely.
The original recipe uses a lot more sugar than my mix has in it, but I have added only an extra 1/4 cup which is also optional. Again throw this into your blender or food processor and wizz it a bit to make it more like caster sugar. If you dont want to add sugar you could add a little honey, or stevia or just leave it as is and make sure you use very ripe plums. I used tinned Black Doris.
I often get asked about icing sugar. I tend to make my own from unrefined golden sugar. Simple put it in your blender or processor and wizz it on high for about 10-20 seconds until it is powered. Leave the top on your blender to let it settle for a bit. If you are making it to store, add starch. This will stop it from clumping. Recipe is 1 cup of sugar to 1 tbl of starch. I use tapioca.
You can enjoy this without the lemon glaze. Its also nice with yoghurt. Or just plain!
Mix 3 eggs, 1 cup water, 2 tbl oil together, then add the vanilla mix and the roughly chopped pistachios. Pour into lined tin and then add halved plums in a decorative pattern on the top.
This recipe is inspired by The Brick Kitchen
- 300g baking mix
- 4 eggs
- 185g butter OR
- 100g coconut oil and 85g coconut cream
- 120g pistachios
- half cup water
- tin Black Doris plums
- one lemon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essense
- LEMON GLAZE optional
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 175°C, and grease and line a 23cm springform cake tin with baking paper.
- In a food processor or blender, blitz the pistachios to a fine meal
- Cream butter or the coconut oil and cream with the 1/4 cup finely ground sugar in a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined. Fold through the HGG baking mix, finely ground pistachios, baking powder, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Pour the batter into the tin. Top with lots of plum halves, cut side up
- Bake for 45-50min or until a skewer inserted comes out just clean. Leave in the tin to cool
- To glaze, mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice until desired consistency. Drizzle over cake and top with chopped pistachios.
Gluten Free Christmas Cake Paleo
(yes it can be done, and it's awesome)
Pancakes and Waffles
You can make thee any size you want and add anything you like on top. But it’s always good to get a bit of inspiration....
Caramel Apple Cake
Apple cakes are the way to go in Autumn, and what better to top it with but caramel. Or even better, put the caramel inside...